Add wine tasting in the KZN Midlands to your bucketlist
If you thought that for an authentic wine-tasting experience that you needed to hop on a plane to Cape Town, think again! Situated at Piggly Wiggly in picturesque Dargle, is Highgate Wine Estate, one of KZN’s only three certified vineyards.
Established in 1996, Highgate’s vintages boast an array of cultivars suited for the broad range of tastes offering eight variations of wine, each with its distinctive nose and pallet of flavours.
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon Black Edition. The flagship wine that is named by the depth of its colour.
- Rosé – Light, dry and perfect for a sunny day, the rosé has strong aromas and flavours of strawberries.
- 100% Chardonnay – a delight for the senses with flavours of honeycomb and butterscotch.
- TOMCAT Pinotage – with special family significance in its name, the TOMCAT is a Pinotage like no other.
- 100% Pinotage – a medium bodied wine that is great for any occasion.
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon – smooth on the pallet, this medium bodied wine is rich in red fruit flavours.
- 100% Merlot – reminiscent of dark red fruits and an herbaceous finish on the pallet.
- 100% Syrah – a light wine with classic savoury notes of black pepper and cloves.
If you haven’t tried the wines grown and bottled in KZN, make sure you stop in for a memorable wine tasting experience in the Midlands, together with a delicious range of Spanish tapas or a cheese and charcuterie board that pair perfectly with the selection of wines on offer.
For those with a broad taste in wine, the standard wine tasting consists of a Rosé, Chardonnay and two red wines and is a popular choice. However, some may be more inclined towards red varieties, which is why the Just Reds tasting offers four red wines.
If grappa is one of your favourite drinks then be sure to try the selection of low and high alcohol versions on plain, wildberry and blueberry flavours.
Do something different this weekend and experience a selection of premium wines, grappa, cheeses, meats, preserves and bread. Find out more information about the vineyard, wine tasting and team on the Highgate Wine Estate website.